Position announcement: Development Associate
FMR is a leading and growing nonprofit organization working to protect, restore and enhance the Mississippi River and its watershed in the Twin Cities region.
Our goals are to improve water quality; conserve important lands; inspire widespread commitment to this natural wonder flowing through our community; and protect the river's unique scenic, natural, cultural and recreational qualities. We're celebrating our 25th anniversary in 2018 and employ a staff of 19 long-tenured employees who enjoy a beautiful new office space overlooking the river in downtown St. Paul.
FMR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from a diversity of candidates.
The Development Associate will be an integral member of a four-person development team responsible for raising the majority of the organization’s $2.3 million annual budget.
The Development Associate will be responsible for growing and cultivating the organization’s membership base using a range of practices, as well as organizing and implementing administrative systems to ensure effective and efficient development efforts.
The position is full-time with benefits and offers the opportunity to learn and grow within the position and the organization.
This position is right for a smart, flexible, creative, self-motivated professional who wants to use their ideas and energy to improve the health of the Mississippi River. The ideal candidate will have strong analytical abilities and a demonstrated attention to detail.
• Thoroughly understand the organization’s fundraising priorities and goals, and help to develop strategies to meet them.
• Help manage, strategize, plan and implement FMR’s membership program, including:
- Maintaining donor data and keeping the donor management system organized and operational to ensure accurate and pertinent data.
- Collaboratively identifying and implementing member acquisition, retention and upgrade strategies.
- Conducting research on prospects.
- Coordinating mailings.
- Helping to craft solicitations.
- Recording incoming gifts and generating acknowledgments of receipt.
- Tracking and managing benefits to donors.
- Responding to individual member's and donor's inquiries and communications.
• Help to plan and implement fundraising events.
• Participate on the FMR Communications Team to ensure timely and appropriate communications to various audiences.
• Generate reports for tracking, analysis and forecasting.
• Conduct research and analysis of FMR’s development practices and results to continually improve performance and outcomes.
• Help the organization accurately budget for membership revenue and expenses.
• Lead FMR’s efforts to meet the annual membership requirements of the Minnesota Environmental Fund.
• Supervise volunteers and interns as needed.
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree (two years directly related experience may be considered in lieu of a degree).
• Strong computer skills in database, word-processing, spreadsheet and presentation software.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
• High level of thoroughness and strong attention to detail.
• Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
• Commitment to basic fundraising ethics and rigorous privacy principles.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and occasional weekends.
• Commitment to and passion for the mission of Friends of the Mississippi River.
Additional Desired Qualifications
• Strongly preferred: Minimum two years experience with donor databases, and membership/ individual fundraising activities.
• Some knowledge of philanthropic trends and the non-profit field.
Salary & Benefits
FMR offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include health and dental insurance, retirement match, parking/transit allowance and generous paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
Please consolidate your application into one PDF document that includes: a cover letter summarizing your interest in and qualifications for the position; a 1-2 page résumé; and the names, titles and phone numbers of three professional references (or two professional and one personal reference). Please include your last name in the file name and email it as an attachment with “Development Associate” as the subject line to email@example.com.
The position will remain open until filled. Interviews will begin the week of May 22, 2017.