Leave your worries behind (but not your camera!) — we cover food, shuttling, safety support and fun!
Photo: Matt Holland
By necessity, FMR operates a pretty lean fundraising and communications shop. We depend on our members, volunteers and paddlers to help us reach new people and increase the success of events like the Mississippi River Challenge.
The Mississippi River Challenge goals are ambitious, both in terms of introducing new people to this national treasure in our midst and raising funds to help protect it. By helping us spread the word and encouraging people to participate, you can help us meet these goals and support our other important program work in the process.
Here are some easy things you can do:
- Are you a paddler? Even a beginning one? The Mississippi River Challenge is fully supported — that means rest stops, first-aid, even live entertainment for paddlers — and half-, one- and two-day routes are all available. So whether you’re a novice or were born with a paddle in your hands, this event is a good fit. Plus it’s extremely fun event and a great deal for what you put into it. Register today!
- Email a friend, family member or coworker about FMR — perhaps forward an article from our e-newsletter or website that they might be interested in, and let them know that you’re a fan of this great organization doing important work for the river — and/or email them directly about the event. Many people really don’t know about this opportunity to paddle the river without having to worry about logistics — shuttles, gear transport, directions, meal planning, etc. are all attended to by the event organizers. Paddlers can relax and enjoy the breathtaking scenery, great food and music and inspiring camaraderie. Let them know by sharing MississippiRiverChallenge.org on Facebook, Twitter, other your social networks, or by email.
- Like the Mississippi River Challenge on Facebook, share the posts, and encourage all your friends to Like the page too. This is a great way to help us reach more people!
- Follow the Mississippi River Challenge on Twitter (MissRivChall), and retweet our tweets. Same deal as Liking us on Facebook — great way to help us get the word out!
- Offer to pledge friends who paddle! Although our pledge goals are lower than pretty much every other pledge-raising event in town, they can still be daunting to people who haven’t done a pledged event before. Offering your support can help them overcome their hesitations.
- If you’re volunteering with the Riverfront Support Crew, let friends and family know you’ll see them at a rest stop or at the Fort Snelling celebration! (A few volunteers are still needed. If interested, let us know!)
- Join the party at Historic Fort Snelling to celebrate a successful first day of the event, complete with Thousand Hills Cattle Company beef as well as great vegetarian options, Surly beer, root beer floats, and The Roe Family Singers!
Thank you for helping us make the 2012 Mississippi River Challenge a rousing success! If you have questions or would like to further support the event, please contact Adam Flett, firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-222-2193 x30.