Susan Vento - Vice-Chair
• Community Volunteer
• Field Representative, Minnesota Education Association, 1983-1998; Field Representative, Education Minnesota, 1998-2010
• Elementary Educator (grades 1 and 3), Willmar Public Schools, Willmar, 1976-1983
• Friends of the Mississippi River Board of Directors, 2011-present
• Lobbying at the state and federal levels on issues related to mesothelioma and asbestos
• Ramsey County Historical Society Board of Directors, 2014-present
• Previously served on the boards of Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity, Friends of the St. Paul Library, National Park Trust, Carmen Pampa Fund, and Merrick Community Services
Education: BA, College of St. Benedict
Member of FMR board since: 2011
Favorite Mississippi River location: It's a tie between the Mounds Park overlook and the Spring Lake Park Reserve overlook!
Conservation/environment heroes: John Muir, Mary Oliver, Sigurd Olson and Richard Louv
Hobbies: travel, entertaining, walking, movies and theater, reading
Why I serve on the FMR Board: In the words of Robert Kennedy, Jr., "The present shouts and the future whispers. And our job it to amplify the voice of the future." The Mississippi has played a critical role in our state's past as it does today. We must ensure that it will continue to be a treasure for future generations.