Position announcement: Development Associate
Full-time, 40 hours/week, with benefits
Friends of the Mississippi River (FMR) is a leading and growing nonprofit organization working to protect, restore and enhance the Mississippi River and its watershed in the Twin Cities region. Our goals are to: improve water quality; conserve important lands; engage people in learning about and taking action to protect and enhance the river; inspire widespread commitment to this natural wonder flowing through our community; and protect our river's unique scenic, natural, cultural and recreational qualities.
The organization has an annual budget of $2.5 million and employs a dedicated, professional staff of 19 who work to improve the health of the river through policy advocacy, education and engagement, land conservation and restoration and other disciplines. Over 27 years, FMR has established deep relationships and credibility with thousands of citizens, landowners, neighborhood organizations, volunteers, government agencies and elected officials. The organization has become a national model for conservation and watershed protection.
With a well-known and respected brand, a seasoned and effective staff, a strong Board of Directors, and a growing base of support, FMR is poised for continued growth and success. The workplace culture at FMR is collaborative, fun and staff share a common love of the river and dedication to the mission of the organization.
FMR believes the Mississippi River belongs to all of us and its gifts should flow equally to everyone in our community. We strive to be culturally competent, welcoming and inclusive of all people. We are working toward greater social and environmental justice, using our resources and influence to redress structural inequality in our own organization and where it intersects with the health and vitality of the Mississippi River. We encourage interested applicants from all backgrounds to apply. To learn more about FMR’s commitment to advancing equity, please visit www.fmr.org/equity-fmr.
The development associate is an integral member of a three-person development team and reports to the development director. They are responsible for growing and stewarding the organization’s membership base, as well as organizing and implementing administrative systems to ensure effective and efficient development efforts.
The position is right for an organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated professional who wants to use their ideas and energy to improve the health of the Mississippi River. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of development systems and norms, experience coordinating development-related processes, strong analytical skills and a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Manage and grow FMR’s membership program. Responsibilities include:
- Maintaining donor data and keeping the donor management system organized and operational to ensure accurate and pertinent data.
- Staying up to date on best practices and systems innovations.
- Identifying and implementing member acquisition, retention, and upgrade strategies.
- Crafting solicitations.
- Coordinating mass donor solicitations and communications.
- Recording incoming gifts and generating acknowledgements of receipt.
- Depositing gifts.
- Tracking and managing benefits to donors.
- Responding to individual member and donor inquiries and communications.
- Generating reports for tracking, analysis and forecasting.
- Generate and manage the membership program budget.
- Help to plan and implement fundraising events.
- Participate on the FMR Communications Team to ensure timely and appropriate communications to various audiences.
- Conduct research and analysis of FMR’s development practices and results to continually improve performance and outcomes.
- Lead FMR’s efforts to maintain membership and good standing in the Charities Review Council and other credentialing and charitable organizations.
- Supervise volunteers and interns as needed.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- A two- or four-year degree.
- A minimum of two years of directly-related experience.
- Strong computer skills in database, word-processing, spreadsheet and presentation software.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
- High level of thoroughness and strong attention to detail.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Commitment to basic fundraising ethics and rigorous privacy principles.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and occasional weekends.
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Friends of the Mississippi River.
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time position. The salary range is $45,000 – $51,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, dental and short-term disability insurance, a retirement plan with employer match, parking/transit allowance and generous paid time off.
Please consolidate your application into one PDF document that includes: a cover letter summarizing your interest in and qualifications for the position, a 1-2 page resumé, and the names, titles and phone numbers of three professional references (or two professional and one personal reference). Please indicate your last name in the file name and email it as an attachment with “Development Associate” as the subject line to email@example.com.
The position will remain open until filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply by February 19, 2021.