Position announcement: Seasonal Outreach Assistant
Part-time seasonal, 16 hours/week
Friends of the Mississippi River (FMR) is a leading and growing nonprofit organization working to protect, restore and enhance the Mississippi River and its watershed in the Twin Cities region. FMR's goals are to improve water quality; conserve important lands; inspire widespread commitment to this natural wonder flowing through our community; and protect the river's unique scenic, natural, cultural and recreational qualities. The organization is celebrating its 25th anniversary and employs a professional staff of 19 employees who enjoy a beautiful new office space overlooking the river in downtown St. Paul. The workplace culture at FMR is collaborative, fun and staff share a common love of the river and dedication to the mission of the organization.
FMR believes the Mississippi River belongs to all of us and its gifts should flow equally to everyone in our community. We strive to be culturally competent, welcoming and inclusive of all people and are committed to using our resources and influence to redress structural inequality where it intersects with the health and vitality of the Mississippi River. We encourage interested applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
The Seasonal Outreach Assistant will provide project assistance with FMR’s community engagement and outreach work recruiting volunteers for stewardship and restoration events.
The position is right for an organized and detail-oriented person with a genuine commitment to protecting the environmental and cultural resources of the Mississippi River. The ideal candidate will have well-developed communication skills and one or more years of relevant experience in community outreach, volunteer coordination, strategic communications or related responsibilities.
This is a part-time position scheduled to fit the needs of the outreach and stewardship seasonal event schedule. The position runs from late March to late September, with some flexibility based upon the candidate’s availability. This position allows the candidate to work both in the office or at home depending on the candidate’s preferences and demonstrated capability to perform the work.
- Assist the Volunteer Coordinator with recruitment of volunteers and event participants, including drafting press releases, posting events to online calendars, generating flyers and tabling at community and college fairs as needed
- Upload event photos after each event; maintain and organize online photo database
- Assist with volunteer coordination and recognition activities
- Assist with pre- and post- event communications, participant registration, and data entry
- Other administrative support or duties as assigned
- Assist with event support as needed
- One or more years of related experience
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and balance multiple projects and objectives
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office or other word processing and spreadsheet applications
- Familiarity with social media platforms
- Ability to occasionally work irregular hours including some evenings and weekends
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Interest in and commitment to protecting the health of the Mississippi River
Salary & Benefits
Friends of the Mississippi River offers $13/hour for this position. This is a non-benefited, seasonal position.
Please consolidate your application into one PDF document that includes: a cover letter summarizing your interest in and qualifications for the position and a 1-2 page résumé. Please include your last name in the file name and email it as an attachment with “Outreach Assistant” as the subject line to Amy Kilgore at email@example.com.
The position will remain open until filled, and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply by March 2, 2018.