30 ways you can help the river
As our river and our community face enormous challenges — habitat loss, water pollution and constant development pressure — individual actions can seem like just a drop in the bucket. But a different water metaphor is apt here instead.
At the headwaters of the Mississippi, Lake Itasca spills into a slight creek you can hop across on stones. The river’s might amasses over miles as more and more streams join and contribute their waters.
Through this gathering, the river gains its power. Just like the river, we have the power to make positive changes for our water and our communities when we come together.
- Learn about the Dakota and Indigenous history and presence here
- Stencil storm drains with a clean-water reminder
- Encourage pride in our national park
- Get involved in community or state decision-making
- Visit and explore the river together