Position announcement: Administrative Assistant & Bookkeeper [closed]
Sorry, we are no longer accepting applications for this position. Openings are posted on our staff page and shared in Mississippi Messages.
Part-time, 34 hours/week, with benefits
Friends of the Mississippi River (FMR) is a leading and growing nonprofit organization working to protect, restore and enhance the Mississippi River and its watershed in the Twin Cities region. Our goals are to: improve water quality; conserve important lands; engage people in learning about and taking action to protect and enhance the river; inspire widespread commitment to this natural wonder flowing through our community; and protect our river's unique scenic, natural, cultural and recreational qualities.
The organization has an annual budget of $2.5 million and employs a dedicated, professional staff of 19 who work to improve the health of the river through policy advocacy, education and engagement, land conservation and restoration and other disciplines. Over 28 years, FMR has established deep relationships and credibility with thousands of citizens, landowners, neighborhood organizations, volunteers, government agencies and elected officials. The organization has become a national model for conservation and watershed protection.
With a well-known and respected brand, a seasoned and effective staff, a strong Board of Directors, and a growing base of support, FMR is poised for continued growth and success. The workplace culture at FMR is collaborative, fun and staff share a common love of the river and dedication to the mission of the organization.
FMR believes the Mississippi River belongs to all of us and its gifts should flow equally to everyone in our community. We strive to be culturally competent, welcoming and inclusive of all people. We are working toward greater social and environmental justice, using our resources and influence to redress structural inequality in our own organization and where it intersects with the health and vitality of the Mississippi River. We encourage interested applicants from all backgrounds to apply. To learn more about FMR’s commitment to advancing equity, please visit www.fmr.org/equity-fmr.
The Administrative Assistant & Bookkeeper reports to the Associate Director and is responsible for maintaining an efficient and user-friendly work environment and supporting the finance department. In addition to managing day-to-day administrative tasks, the Administrative Assistant & Bookkeeper will be responsible for board of directors administration and some basic accounting/bookkeeping duties.
The position is right for an organized, self-checking, detail-oriented person with some bookkeeping/accounting experience and a genuine commitment to protecting the environmental and cultural resources of the Mississippi River. The ideal candidate will have well-developed clerical and administrative skills, and excellent interpersonal communications skills.
Administrative Responsibilities (~22 hours/wk)
- Keep office space functional, organized and neat
- Maintain supplies and materials and reorder as needed
- General record keeping and maintenance of organizational files
- Respond to routine information requests and inquiries
- Coordinate with building management regarding maintenance issues
- Manage vendor contracts for maintenance and upkeep of office equipment
- Coordinate preparation and mailing of the board packet and maintain board contact and attendance records, board resolutions and other documents
- Take minutes at board meetings
- Assist with events and meetings as needed, including scheduling and logistics
- Help to onboard new staff
- Answer incoming phone calls and greet office visitors
Accounting Responsibilities (~12 hours/wk)
- Record and process accounts payable
- Record cash receipts
- Work with the development department to track gifts &/or pledges and maintain interdepartmental data accuracy
- Assist with payroll reporting
- Participate in the annual audit
- Other accounting &/or bookkeeping duties as assigned
Note: The FMR staff is largely working remotely during the pandemic, including the Administrative Assistant & Bookkeeper. At this time, some office-based responsibilities are decreased. But the Administrative Assistant & Bookkeeper continues to play the critical role of maintaining administrative functions, including picking up mail, maintaining the office, and supporting staff.
- A minimum of two years of related experience
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to plan work, meet deadlines and balance multiple projects and objectives
- An associate accounting degree
- Working experience with spreadsheet applications such as Excel and Google Sheets
- Two years accounting software experience; Quickbooks preferred
- Familiarity with Filemaker desired
- Well-developed clerical and administrative skills
- Willingness to work irregular hours including some evenings and weekends
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage moderately strenuous physical tasks such as lifting and loading supplies and equipment
- Interest in and commitment to protecting the health of the Mississippi River
Salary & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $20-21/hour, commensurate with experience. Benefits include health and dental insurance, retirement match, parking/transit allowance and generous paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
Please consolidate your application into one PDF document that includes: a cover letter summarizing your interest in and qualifications for the position; a 1-2 page résumé; and the names, titles and phone numbers of three professional references (or two professional and one personal reference). Please include your last name in the file name and email it as an attachment with “Administrative Assistant & Bookkeeper” as the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position will remain open until filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply by February 10, 2021.