Position announcement: Data Manager
Friends of the Mississippi River (FMR) is a leading and growing nonprofit organization that protects, restores and enhances the Mississippi River and its watershed in the Twin Cities region.
Our goals are to: improve water quality, conserve important lands, inspire widespread commitment to this natural wonder flowing through our community, and protect our river's unique scenic, natural, cultural and recreational qualities.
FMR's annual budget is $2.5 million. We employ a dedicated, professional staff of 19 who improve the river's health through policy advocacy, education and engagement, land conservation and restoration and other disciplines. Over 27 years, FMR has established deep relationships and credibility with thousands of citizens, landowners, neighborhood organizations, volunteers, government agencies and elected officials.
With a well-known and respected brand, a seasoned and effective staff, a strong Board of Directors, and a growing base of support, FMR is poised for continued growth and success. The workplace culture at FMR is collaborative, and employees share a common love of the river and dedication to FMR's mission.
We believe the Mississippi River belongs to all of us and its gifts should flow equally to everyone in our community. We strive to be culturally competent, welcoming and inclusive of all people. We are working toward greater social and environmental justice, using our resources and influence to redress structural inequality in our own organization and where it intersects with the health and vitality of the Mississippi River. (Equity statement)
The Data Manager will report to the Communications Director.
They will develop systems, procedures and policies for data management and assist colleagues in data-related tasks to support effective communications with supporters, contractors and funders.
The Data Manager will collaborate across all program areas to help staff strategically use data for more effective communication, engagement and fundraising activities.
They will manage FMR's constituent database (FileMaker Pro) and tactical platform (Salsa Engage), and work in additional systems, such as SmartSheets, to facilitate campaign and project management.
The position is full-time with benefits. It's a great fit for a motivated problem solver eager to streamline systems, refine workflows and empower their teammates.
(Note: This position will build upon the work of our previous Data Coordinator role but it is a new, expanded position.)
• Performs some data entry and large-scale imports and oversees data entry by others
• Documents and maintains consistent procedures and workflows for data input and updating
• Performs routine data hygiene tasks, including updating contact records and managing duplicate accounts
• Builds queries, exports, and reports for targeted communications
• Produces reports to inform and support campaign and project management
• Develops and modifies data infrastructure to accelerate the processes of data analysis and reporting
• Maintains and develops user interfaces such as custom fields, workflows, validation rules, and page layouts
• Liaisons with database and web developers and other service providers to manage functionality and improve workflows
• Manages and maintains integrations between different databases and online advocacy, email, and fundraising tools
• Optimizes functionality by staying up-to-date on system improvements and leading global changes as needed
• Maintains documentation and provides staff support
• Other related responsibilities as assigned
• Experience using data strategically in a fundraising, political, educational, marketing or other setting
• Self-starter, problem solver, and able to work collaboratively in cross-departmental teams
• Ability to think methodically and critically and balance competing priorities
• Strong verbal, writing and interpersonal communication skills
• Skill in communicating with technical experts, business users, vendors, and staff
• Commitment to and passion for the mission of Friends of the Mississippi River
• Three years' or more experience in data and database management
• Experience in one or more of the following: FileMaker Pro, Salsa Engage, Eventbrite, SmartSheets, ArcGIS, Google Analytics and the Google ecosystem, QuickBooks and specialized voter databases
• Dashboard building
• Change management experience
• Technical writing
• Grants management or reporting experience
• Market research experience
Salary & benefits
This position is 40 hours per week with a starting salary range of $48,000 to $54,000. Benefits include health and dental insurance, retirement match, parking/transit allowance and generous paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
We are located in downtown St. Paul and continually revise our office policies based on CDC guidance.
Please consolidate your application into one PDF document that includes: a cover letter summarizing your interest in and qualifications for the position; a one- to two-page résumé; and the names, titles and phone numbers of three professional references (or two professional and one personal reference). Please include your last name in the file name and email it as an attachment with “Data Manager” as the subject line to email@example.com.
Applications are due Wednesday, November 17, 5 p.m.