Action Alert: Justice can't wait. Support police reform. [CLOSED]
During Minnesota's second special session, FMR is once again supporting police accountability and criminal justice reform proposals from the Minnesota Legislature's 19-member People of Color and Indigenous (POCI) Caucus. (See our special session priorities.)
The proposals focus specifically on police accountability and criminal justice reform across five main areas:
• Reform the investigation and prosecution of officer-involved deaths and wrongful actions
• Increase police accountability and transparency
• Raise standards of conduct and support officer excellence
• Partner officers with the communities they serve
• Repair and build community trust and create community-centered public safety
A brief description of each item is available in the caucus' statement.
We know we're not experts on police accountability and criminal justice reform, but we are committed to working alongside frontline communities to pursue a more just and equitable society. As long as people of color live in fear of police violence, environmental justice and fair access to public spaces is not possible.
This Action Alert is no longer available. Sign up to be a River Guardian and we'll keep you updated when the river needs your voice. Visit our Legislative Blog to learn about similar issues and follow the 2020 legislative session.