Action Alert: Support POCI Caucus police and justice proposals [CLOSED]
In addition to our preexisting legislative priorities, FMR is following proposals from the Minnesota Legislature’s 19-member People of Color and Indigenous (POCI) Caucus. (See our special session priorities.)
The proposals focus specifically on police accountability and criminal justice reform across five main areas of work:
• Reform the investigation and prosecution of officer-involved deaths and wrongful actions
• Increase police accountability and transparency
• Raise standards of conduct and support officer excellence
• Partner officers with the communities they serve
• Repair and build community trust and create community-centered public safety
A brief description of each item is available in the caucus' statement.
While these issues land outside of our traditional, mainstream environmental advocacy portfolio, as long as people of color live in fear of police violence, environmental justice is not possible, neither are truly public spaces or a fair, equitable society.
Join the River Guardians
We count on over 2,000 River Guardians to help us shape legislation to protect the Mississippi River and the communities that live alongside it. You can join us by taking action above or signing up online.
River Guardians are also invited to special events (including happy hours) to learn more about important legislative and metro river corridor issues.