Position announcement: Communications Associate
FMR is a leading and growing nonprofit organization working to protect, restore and enhance the Mississippi River and its watershed in the Twin Cities region.
Our goals are to: improve water quality, conserve important lands, inspire widespread commitment to this natural wonder flowing through our community, and protect our river's unique scenic, natural, cultural and recreational qualities.
We're celebrating our 25th anniversary and employ a staff of 19 employees who enjoy a new office space overlooking the river in downtown St. Paul.
We believe the Mississippi River belongs to all of us and its gifts should flow equally to everyone in our community. We strive to be culturally competent, welcoming and inclusive of all people. We are working toward greater social and environmental justice, using our resources and influence to redress structural inequality in our own organization and where it intersects with the health and vitality of the Mississippi River. We encourage interested applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
The Communications Associate will help to implement our strategic communications plan, growing and strengthening our base of active Twin Cities members, volunteers and advocates.
The associate will be responsible for FMR’s primary printed and online materials as well as social media. They will work closely with the Communications Director and Communications Team, comprised of staff from each department and program.
The position is right for a team-oriented person who relishes the thought of inspiring people to celebrate and take action to protect and restore our metro Mississippi River. A knack for compelling storytelling is a must, as is the ability to work quickly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
In addition to managing regular constituent communications, the associate will track media impressions and assist with some data entry and analytics.
The ideal candidate will have three to five years' relevant experience, well-developed project management skills, and excellent writing and interpersonal communications skills.
• Coordinate print publications (annual report, newsletters, brochures)
• Coordinate email newsletter
• Write web articles and assist with web updates
• Coordinate social media posting and Facebook and Instagram advertising
• Attend select volunteer and advocacy events and submit photos and stories to local print and online media
• Write special interest briefs or short articles (with support from staff) to submit to local print and online media (For example, “Top five native plants for pollinators”)
• Assist with video production (including shooting live video for Facebook [iPad] as well as supporting videographers with directions to locations, interviewees, etc.)
• Assist the FMR Communications Team by refining templates for flyers, posters and presentations
• Track media impressions and update related webpages on FMR.org
• Assist with communications-related data entry and analytics as needed
• Participate in staff development activities
• Three to five years’ related experience
• Excellent organizational skills including the ability to plan work, meet deadlines and balance multiple projects and objectives
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Comfort using or quickly learning the Adobe suite, especially InDesign (can work with preexisting templates to start)
• Comfortable working with databases and spreadsheets
• Well-developed analytical skills and a strong appreciation for evidence-based approaches
• Ability to work irregular hours including some Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings
• Top-notch interpersonal and written communication skills
• Exquisite attention to detail
• Ability to manage moderately strenuous physical tasks such as lifting and loading tripods, displays and other communications supplies and equipment
• Interest in and commitment to protecting the health of the Mississippi River
• Graphic design experience and proficiency with InDesign
• Experience working with volunteers
Salary & benefits
This position is 30 hours per week with a salary range of $28,500-$31,500. Benefits include health and dental insurance, retirement match, parking/transit allowance and generous paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
Please consolidate your application into one PDF document that includes: a cover letter summarizing your interest in and qualifications for the position; a 1-2 page résumé; and the names, titles and phone numbers of three professional references (or two professional and one personal reference). Links to writing samples are welcome. Please include your last name in the file name and email it as an attachment with “Communications Associate” as the subject line to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Applications due July 9, 9 a.m.
(Please note: FMR is also hiring a Database Coordinator in the communications department. That position is also 30 hours per week but with applications due Monday, July 30, 9 a.m.)